7 Common Mistakes To Avoid While Gathering
By: Dominic Corey
- Are you looking for an absolutely new dissertation idea that hasn’t been touched before by anyone?
- Do you feel that you are going in circles with regards to your dissertation topic ideas?
- Is coming up with ideas for dissertation taking you as long as writing the whole dissertation?
- Thinking and thinking of dissertations ideas but always coming to the same point without having any final decision and delaying your dissertation writing works???
Don't get intimidated as we have the solution for this predicament, just scroll down and examine yourself…
Don’t Look For Absolutely NEW DISSERTATION IDEAS!!!
A lot of students face hard time when they search for dissertation writing ideas because of their wrong approach. However, this process for gathering ideas can be streamlined if your approach is correct.
Many students face hard time coming up with good ideas for writing their dissertation because they think they should look for something new. They don’t go for a problem they already know. Looking fornew and exclusive ideas for dissertation writing takes a lot of time and research. If you already have information about a certain problem go for it.
7 COMMON MISTAKES TO BE AVOIDED WHILE GATHERING AND CHOOSING IDEAS FOR DISSERTATION WRITING
These are very common mistakes students make. So, take them into consideration when choosing ideas for dissertation writing.
- YOUR OWN IRRATIONALITY
A big mistake that can be made when selecting ideas is your own irrationality. You feel that this dissertation is going to be a huge project. You want to disclose all the problems of the humankind. Do not hurry! Narrow down your topics for dissertation writing.
- YOUR PERSONAL INTERESTS
You have heard that your personal interests are of primary importance when talking about ideas for dissertation writing. This claim is right, but can turn into a mistake as well. Your preferences should coincide with the significance and importance of the chosen ideas, somehow in the field of research.
- NOT USING PENCIL AND PAPER
One of the mistakes that can be made when choosing ideas for dissertation writing is the absence of a pencil and paper. Do you know why these items are important in dissertation when picking out ideas? You have to jot down all ideas that come to your mind. Transferring ideas for dissertation from your mind, through your own hands, writing to the paper is easier and ensures that you will miss nothing.
- YOUR ADVISOR IS UNAWARE OF YOUR IDEAS FOR DISSERTATION
Dissertation topic ideas that your advisor is unaware of is also a big mistake. One of the reasons why students fail to get their dissertation idea approved is because they never discussed it with their supervisor. If you are approaching your advisor to seek help h/she may well appreciate it as you are giving the due respect and everybody enjoys that.
- NOT STARTING TO SEARCH FOR DISSERTATIONS IDEAS
You will get worried and affect the quality of your work if you don’t start searching for a dissertation writing ideas early. So, start searching as early as possible. Decide when you will work on your ideas, make a schedule and stick to it.
- NOT TRYING TO FIND GAPS BETWEEN YOUR RESEARCH
You will most certainly face hard time if you don’t try to find gaps in knowledge. Because once you find gaps, you will have to find out how to fill those gaps. This is a great of way of coming up withdissertation ideas.
- NOT TAKING NOTES OF WHAT YOU READ
Not taking notes is not a good practice either. You must take notes when you read books, journal, articles, etc. When you listen to lectures, you must make sure you jot down all the important points, especially those you find interesting. So, later you can go through your notes to find ideas and look for something interesting.
So, as you can see, coming up with dissertation ideas is simply a matter of proper planning. One more thing that you should do is to go through dissertation proposal as well. They may even spark a few ideas. So, make sure when you go through prewritten dissertations, you don’t skip the Dissertation proposal part.
- Generate a general topic area that interests you.
- You don’t want to select a topic that has personal relevance. You can become too emotional and lose objectivity as a researcher with a topic that is too personal to you.
- Review current research in the area to help you determine a new path of research yet to be explored.
- You can also talk with a faculty member who shares you research topic as they can always give you tips and some direction when reviewing the literature.
- Finally, attempt to put your research question into a testable form.
Generate a general topic area that interests you. You don’t want to select a topic that has personal relevance. You can become too emotional and lose you objectivity as a researcher with a topic that is too personal to you. Review current research in the area to help you determine a new path of research yet to be explored. You can also talk with a faculty member who shares you research topic as they can always give you tips and some direction when reviewing the literature. Finally, attempt to put your research question into a testable form.