How to Compose an Effective Thesis Literature Review with APA Style?
One of the most popular styles for composing a thesis or dissertation is the APA style format. APA is known as American Psychological Association and is a favorite of many universities and colleges for their research reports.
But before we tell you how to compose an effective literature review format, let’s first see what a literature review is?
The thesis literature review is one of the most important ingredients of a research report. It aims to critically analyze the current knowledge along with giving a review of the previous studies conducted in the same area. The main purpose of a literature review is to educate readers on the previous researches and justify the need for current study.
A literature review that is well structured follows a logical flow of ideas along with proper terminology, unbiased views and suitable formatting.
- Start your thesis literature review by mentioning the oldest researches on the topic and then move on to the current in a sequence. Try to compose them in a way so that the new research can pick up where the previous left off. This will make the literature review easier and more interesting for the reader to read.
- Make sure that your literature review is thorough and includes many sources. According to the American Psychological Association, the purpose to include many sources is to avoid repetition of researches. If all the available sources of studies are included in a particular thesis then the probability of someone else conducting a research on the same topic is quite less.
- Make sure that you criticize and asses the previous studies as you go along. This will help the reviewers determine the gaps that exist in the past work due to which the current research is being conducted.
- Make sure that the sources from where you have taken the data are properly cited and further details are mentioned in the reference section of your dissertation. This is an essential step which helps in eliminating the doubt of plagiarism and makes your research work authentic and reliable.
- Also mention present recommendations and suggestion at the end part of yourthesis literature review. This will help give way to future researches and will help in studies that are more improved and contain a deeper aspect.
- The literature reviews should include a header on the page which will include page number on the right hand side of the page and the first two to three words of the research theme five spaces ahead of the page number.
In conclusion, while composing the
thesis literature review of your dissertation remember that it should provide an overview in terms of what has been done and what we know as far as the theme of the research is concerned. For that proper formatting is compulsory which is why APA is the most appropriate style of research report composition.